General History of Freemasonry in Fiji
At various times over the last 130 years there were five Lodges in Fiji. Of these five, the one that was located in Navua had been deregistered and the other one, that is, Rewa Lodge of Viti is in the process of being deregistered, because of falling membership. The remaining three, by order of their commencement dates are, Lodge of Polynesia, Lodge of Fiji and Lodge Lautoka.
Freemasonry in Fiji began in 1871 at “high noon” on 27th December when a “Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons” in Polynesia was opened at Levuka, then seat of a Government headed by Ratu Seru Cakobau. Prior to establishment, some of the European settlers advised Ratu Cakobau that Freemasonry was a dangerous secret society but on enquiry withy some of his ministers convinced him otherwise and he issued a signed document authorising Lodge Polynesia to meet “Under Royal Patronage and by Permission”.
Four years after Suva was proclaimed Fiji’s new capital in 1877, Lodge of Fiji received its warrant for establishment on July 12th, 1881. Lodge of Fiji has continued to meet and conduct its workings and charitable activities through the 2nd World War, the 1987 coups and the 2000 unrest without interruption.